What I’m Hungry For

Will you hear what I am hungry for? How I can eat moments like my first and last and only meal?

Moments.

Moments of stillness and quiet, with just enough length to take an extra breath, speak a gentle “I’m here, Abba” and be mindful that behind the air I inhale is another galaxy of meaning and mystery – it’s heaven waiting in the wings for the sprinkling of God-children spread all over the earth to bring a piece of the celestial into earth-time. (Try it and see . . . With just one beautiful, purposeful and God-rich thought in your head, drag in some atmosphere through your nose and I believe you’ve brought the Kingdom here and now.)

I was born with a mystic heart and I could feast on solitude for days, but God gave me a family and made me a homeschool mama and also dug such a deep well of love in my heart for all the people who walk around and straight into my world . . . You see? Moments are all I get and that’s okay, but I’ve got to cultivate them to be good ones otherwise my soul would shrink to a shrivel.

So, I’m praying every morning for a cleansed palette with which to taste all of God in every little beat of space ticking down eternity’s clock. Even more so and especially now that my eyes have gone soft from gazing towards the dawn of Advent this Sunday. We’ll wait the whole day to light the Candle of Hope at night and I know with that tiny flame flickering to life on our Advent wreath my breath will beg to be pulled inside my lungs slow and deep and all the way down to my belly like the way I had to when I was 9 months pregnant; when my body was so full of flesh that short gasps could never fill me up .

That’s how to breathe the Advent air. All the way down to your gut. Because if any air in the world is pregnant, it’s the Advent air – 9 months, pre-labor large with the memory of expecting Someone so big He could only come in the package-size of an infant.

Again this year the moments in our home will glow gentle with hundreds and more tiny twinkle lights on a Charlie Brown evergreen tree and all the spirit-atoms within go hush-hush for the sweet Bethlehem Baby. A Baby that I’ve never wanted to hold so bad and we all wrap Him in our arms with each sacrament and remembrance. We’ll take Him in our arms and clutch Him close to our chests once more, tis the season for new-skin smell and Baby-breath fanning and for swaying around the living room humming lullabies, caressing our flesh-palms over and across a soft, downy, Divine-head. The thermometer around us will shift to temperature still as we supplicate for the deep hope of softening and bending our souls towards the heart of Christmas.

:::

If any of you are looking for a couple of Spirit-whispers to supplement your holiday season, below are a few resources that nurtured and strengthened our own tribe-traditions.

This is our second year to travel through Ann Voskamp’s Jesse Tree Family Advent Devotional – we all love the way she stitched and crafted The Story from start to finish. If you’re interested, you can download it for FREE right HERE.

John Blase wrote a beautiful little triumph of a book called Touching Wonder. This, too, can be download for FREE over HERE or at Amazon.

For younger kids, this Advent Storybook is our favorite and we are still reading it every year – so sweet and reverent.

:::

Can I tell you how blessed and joy-full I wish and pray for your Advent and Christmas to be? I’m wrapping my big heart around each and every y’all, okay? I LOVE you!

{Image Source}

32 Comments What I’m Hungry For

1. Holly

Oh, to be in your house this Advent! This, how you’ve described the Jesus babe, new and sweet and holy–that is what I want this season. That holy awe and rapture. That glowing quiet that envelops. All of it. Take my hand and guide me there, friend.

1. thelifeartist

We’ve got each other then . . . Let’s go hand-in-hand through Advent, okay? Sounds wonderful to me, my friend.

Love you,
      Erika

2. HopeUnbroken

oh.
    me. too.
    love you, and traveling the wondrous walk right beside you and yours. so thankful for your soul that beckons me to stay. that calls me back to the stillness even amidst the clamoring. that helps me hold onto the Hope. always reminding me. i am grateful for you, friend. always grateful. thank you for sharing your lovely spirit.
    steph

3. tara pohlkotte

there is advent right here in your words. All of that fresh and holy, smelling of moss and stars… i too want to be open to the wonder that is, quiet expectation. with assurance of deliverance.

1. thelifeartist

Gah!!!! ” . . . moss and stars . . .” I love that smell, SO much.

Thank you, very much, for being with me in this, Tara.

Love You,
      Me

1. thelifeartist

Brianne, I am SO blessed that this meant something to your season. Thank you very much for telling me . . .

Love,
      Erika

4. Kamille Scellick

I love that you know yourself well enough to factor in quiet moments in your day. I am wanting to embrace this season more and more fully as the years pass- saying O Come O Come Immanuel! I like Ann’s Jesse Tree, but I honestly feel it would be trying too hard for my little ones after a busy day. What did you do with your boys when they were under five?

1. thelifeartist

When the boys were younger, our Advent was much more story and craft driven.

We still read this book EVERY year because we love it SO much: http://www.amazon.com/Advent-Storybook-Stories-Before-Christmas/dp/0735819637/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354118827&sr=8-1&keywords=little+bear+advent+book

Thanks to you, I’m going to add the link into my post! I wish I would’ve thought of it earlier!

You can do a search for Advent crafts to do with young kids and I’m pretty certain that google will have some good ideas! (I can’t remember what resources I used back then.)

Thank you, Kamille. I LOVETH you!!!

5. B

Can I just say that I LOVE that you say ‘y’all’ and you’re not in the South.

Otherwise, love love love this hunger. I’m hungry, too.

-Britty

1. thelifeartist

Giiiiiiiiiiiirl, I can’t help it! I married a Texan! ;)

Also: I’m so glad we’re hungry together.

Love you,
      Erika

6. Robin

Hi Erika,
    My name is Robin and I was in YWAM DTS and SOE with Austin. I happened to find you through instagram and I want you to know that you have truly opened my eyes and heart with your beautiful writings and pictures. I am blessed to be connected to you with the Lord as our foundation. We got our Christmas decorations out last night and this post is timely, I will do the Jesse tree and devotionals with my family. Thank you for guiding us to Jesus.

1. thelifeartist

Hello new friend!!! Thank you for coming alongside our stories . . . I am so humbled that they mean something to your heart.

Bless you,
      Erika

7. Aubrey

You always manage to create that specialness in your writing. Sometimes when I write something, I re-read it, and think, that wasn’t me, that was the holy spirit dripping from my fingers {keyword: sometimes}. I always walk away from what you’ve written feeling His eternal flame flickering in this space, in your heart, which transpires to mine. Thank you.

1. thelifeartist

I feel the same way, Aubrey. The Spirit is the most necessary component to any stories I tell here. :)

Thank you for taking the time to speak encouragement to my heart . . .

Love much,
      Erika

8. Bethany

I wasn’t born with a mystic heart, or if I was, it went into long-term hiding shortly after, so your descriptions of sacred moments ache like wishes. It’s a good ache though, the beauty-laced ache of a soul longing for the day when all will finally be made right. Your suggestion there? at the end of the first full paragraph? gives me hope that even non-mystic me may be able to inhale a bit of that “meaning and mystery” this advent season, because your words are oh-so-clearly the exhale.

1. thelifeartist

Yes. It’s all just a series of purpose-full breaths – for the mystic and not-so-mystic alike, eh?

And you know? I am especially glad that you and I are breathing together whenever we can. I LOVE you, Bethany Bassett.

Love,
      Me

9. Nicole C.

There you go, with your gift, reaching into our deepest hearts again. :) What touched me this middle of a sleepless night was this: ” I was born with a mystic heart and I could feast on solitude for days, but God gave me a family and made me a homeschool mama and also dug such a deep well of love in my heart for all the people who walk around and straight into my world . . ”
    I too have been tossing around the idea of making the moments sweeter, more alive, more deeply aware and awakening. I have desperately been praying for some answer regarding homeschooling my children. The trouble has been I savor my solitude as well and have so little faith in being able to give more of that solitude up by committing to homeschooling and want to be true to myself as I experience these doubts and not end up resenting the homeschooling process. Alas, this post of yours as I sit awake at 2:28am leaves me wondering if this is the moment I’ve been waiting for. I love these moments when we feel at the jumping off point… the glorious free fall of leaps of faith. Thank you, again and again, Ericka.

1. thelifeartist

Friend-Nicole . . . God will guide that tender heart of yours right down the path you are meant to be on. But, fair warning . . . That path might just rip your skin right off and make you die till your dead.

In related news: that path (whatever it is, wherever it takes you) will also be the place of your continual resurrection. Glory. Be.

I am saying a prayer for you this night kindred-sister and you just open yourself all the way up.

Love to you and yours,
      Erika

10. Margaret

I gotta admit, I’ve never heard a Texan speak so eloquently! I can say that, because I’m from Oklahoma :) So glad I found your blog. Your newest follower, Margaret.

1. Erika Morrison

Hahahahaha!!! Well, it could be because I’m from Michigan . . . ;) BUT, my husband is from Texas and I’ll be sure to tell him to UP his eloquent-speak because it sounds like those Texans need some refinement. ;)

So glad you are here, Margaret. You put a huge smile on my face. :)

Love,
      Erika

11. Sue Awes

Dear Erika – my first visit to Life Artist – and it is so lovely and thoughtful and rich. Thank you for visiting mayfirst – and giving me a new friend – Blessings -

1. thelifeartist

I’m so blessed to be your new friend, Sue . . . Thank you very much for stopping by and I look forward to “meeting” you too. <3

Much Love,