I Am An Alchemist

Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 10.43.36 PM Psst . . . Would you harness all your extra energetic atoms and come close in here for a moment? I want to tell you a special little something . . .

For 32 years I’ve been walking around the sun and with every turn about the calendar I’ve learned that I’m unfurling into more of who I was born to be; discovering dots, connecting threads, sketching ideas, chasing the Spirit around all the places so I can ask him all the questions all the time – just for the joy of scribbling what I hear on the scratchpad of my soul and I’m sure I get to keep all the whispered secrets harbored safe within me for at least (or no less then) eternity.

Get this: I’m still learning new things about myself and some might find this strange and others entirely refreshing, but lately I’ve been rolling the air between the tips of my fingers just so I can touch what nothing-molecules feel like. I’m every which way bent on not missing a single ordinary thing because I recently discovered that I am, by nature, an alchemist.

What’s that you say?

Alchemist: A person who uses any magical power or process of transmuting a common substance, usually of little value, into a substance of great value.

Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 10.44.41 PM Hmmm . . . I wonder WHO the original alchemist was and is and is to come? You must know that I’m thinking now of that long ago dust-spread being woven and shaped into humanity by the magical breath of The Great Alchemist. And I’m thinking of every redemption story I’ve ever heard and all the tales of burned-down ashes turning towards raised-up beauty because that one true Alchemist spoke the magic-wielding words of value and love. I just can’t escape this urge to be under the tutelage of such wonder. So, I touch the air with the flesh of my hands and imagine it’s worth so much more then I often remember, this element I take for granted just as often as my next breath.

Alchemy, I think, is nothing if not the noticing of the practically un-noticeable. And by practicing noticement, the magic of value and love is infused into the most common of substances until they become, to the beholder, a substance of great value. Glory be! Who knew you could get giddy like this and watch the daily drudgery and typical times go by, rich and filled full with amazement.

Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 10.44.08 PM In related news, I wrote this prayer in my journal a few weeks back and it speaks volumes of the place God has seduced me to: “A quiet and reverent good morning I would speak to You now . . . with rest and love and fullness in my heart. I’m breathing You in like a mystic, slowing all my molecules to look like miracles. They are miracles and I would remember today that You are holy and wholly, absolutely other. Give me eyes to see and ears to hear and a heart to understand just one or two unfathomable mysteries . . . Would You let me touch the connections between this world and Your pulsing beat? Related: I want to drink You, every bit that I can. Is that possible? To sink into the celestial abyss? Right here in all my ordinary days? By the way, I love . . . I LOVE my ordinary days. You have built me for this, changed me to reflect the mysticism of the mundane and I am grateful, but more so: content. I am content. My God. Miracles never cease. Picking up scattered scraps of paper, filling a million cups with milk, doing the kitchen dance over a pot of simmering soup . . . I am content and AMEN I say to that.”

Now you know a little something more about the heart that beats inside my body and next time I go about making God-seed declarations, I’m gonna tell you why I am, by nature, also an anthropologist. In the meantime, I was wondering (and it would rock my world) if you wouldn’t mind sharing with me something about yourself? It could be a photo or a paragraph or a prayer or a link to a blog post – anything! What is something you are - regardless of whether you’ve been validated by man or certified by any institution? The anthropologist in me longs to know the inherent you and desires to see how we all intersect and connect in this beautiful interlocking circle of Kingdom contribution.

32 Comments I Am An Alchemist

1. rachel

i love the way you think, the way you breathe, the way your worship oozes from you, dear Erika.

you have left me much to think about.

2. Lyssa

I am loved by the Holy One. That is what I know for sure. All other things are merely hollow words, or labels, or temporary hats that I wear. The love of the One who blends time and eternity, the meeting of deity and humanity, THAT love is what matters, and I hope more and more to transmute that kind of love into my very bones.

Thou art my God,
    the sort for whom
    proud men will never take notice,
    the humble figure
    doing the lowest work that is left undone.
    Let me be such a subject
    as desires with whole heart
    to love, not life first,
    but Him who created me,
    and not only because I was created,
    but for the reason of trusting love
    which is not a duty but an honor.
    Let me not doubt
    Who Thou Art, my Belovèd,
    and no other shall take Thy place.
    Teach me to know that Thou lovest me
    with such a steady constance
    that my quaking heart, feeling the tug
    to other shores, will soon learn by grace
    to sail using only Thy star as guide.

“And yet, because thou overcomest so,
    Because thou art more noble and like a king,
    Thou canst prevail against my fears…”
    - Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese

1. thelifeartist

Welcome, Lyssa! Thank you for sharing time and space and your thoughts with me this morning . . . I am blessed that you would do so. <3

Love,
      Erika

3. Janet

I am a chef. Loving people through cooking good and wholesome food.

I am a bit older than you and feel that God has been working on my heart and showing me more of who He made me to be. Most of my journal is filled with words such as “I want to touch people’s hearts for You, Lord.” I often throughout my day pray “Lord help me be a willing vessel, for Your glory, fill me and show me.”
    He is so Good and IS Love. I am so joyful that He speaks and loves us so. Thank You Lord.

1. thelifeartist

I love that SO much, Janet, because that is exactly the way my mama expresses the love of God and it is such a gift to all.

Thank you for sharing time and heart with me!

Love,
      Erika

4. Bethany

Who-I-am is something I struggle with endlessly… because every time I feel sure I’m on the right track, life seems to conspire directly against it and I’m left hurting like I’ve been cut in two–my soul-identity impossibly at odds with my physical-self. My life is far too full; I know that. There are no margins on the sides (as Sarah Bessey put it) and precious little opportunity for All Things Soulful to grow, and I struggle with that too, with feeling my identity hopelessly bound to an overflowing to-do list.

I know what I want the freedom to be though: a truth-teller, a beauty-connoisseur, and a grace-illuminator. I want to be a woman who puts her heart onto pages and the Kingdom light into words.

I love you as an alchemist and anthropologist; it’s perfectly fitting, heaven and earth together under one roof. Looking forward to Part 2!

1. thelifeartist

Two things:

1. You completely expanded my understanding of what it means to be an alchemist and an anthropologist by attaching the words “heaven and earth together . . . ” Just, WOW.

2. The first thing that happens to me whenever I make a declaration of self, is the immediate struggle to walk in the revelation. Case in point: I posted this blog about being an alchemist today and I was DECIDEDLY everything BUT an alchemist today. I’ve learned to the way of it and stopped listening to the lies that follow.

LOVE you,
      Erika

5. Genevieve

Have you read “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho? When Aaron and I were dating ( a brief three months, and long distance at that), he told me he loved me and the only way I’d understand what he meant is if I read that book. He sent me a copy and it was like traveling into a foreign country. I will never forget that experience.

1. thelifeartist

Genevieve! Hi!!!!!!!! I read The Alchemist YEARS ago and I can’t even remember it, but you make me want to read it again and see if there’s a “present” message in it for my heart. Thank you!!!

Love,
      Erika

6. jamie

oh, beautiful one. you ARE. as you said, whether it’s affirmed by men or not, you are this converter of mundane to glory moments. i am so glad you are on this earth (and we’ve been circuiting the sun for the same amount of time! i didn’t know we were the same age! ;)
    as far as your question, here’s a link to a post from january that i framed more as “doing” than “being”, but it’s a glimpse :)
    love to you…

1. thelifeartist

Jaime, you are an absolute gem. Thank you for sharing heart-moment’s with me, I hold every one so close . . .

I’m gonna head over to your place as soon as I can a quiet minute!

Love you,
      Erika

7. Angela

Oh, Erika. I love the way you weave words into glorious so-you phrasiology that come bursting onto the page.

About me? How about we cover that subject over a cup of tea soon? Say, Friday…

1. thelifeartist

I love your “weirdness” with all my heart. I’m heading over as quick at I get a quiet minute!

LOVE you,
      Erika

8. kelly summers

I am a harmonizer. Vocally and relationally. I sing, and harmonies are what makes my heart get all fluttery and happy. But I also see myself as a harmonizer for people. I like to be the complement. To find the gaps people have and fill them with what I’ve got. I’m not great at it, but I’m learning.

1. kelly summers

OHMYGOSH that video is amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing it with me. Man, people have some beautiful things pent up inside them. It’s so amazing to see them come out. That truly inspires me.

1. thelifeartist

Marcia. Friend. You are so kind and I am very grateful you came over today!

I absolutely LOVE your work. I can see the memories and feelings just like they’re mine. Brilliant.

So much LOVE,
      Erika

9. Melissa

Your words and your presence (which sits beautifully amongst them) have been wrapped around my shoulders like a well-worn, snuggly and entirely comforting shawl since I found your blog a couple days ago. This is a truly sacred place and especially welcoming to someone like me, who sought refuge from absolutes and earth disconnection in alternative spirituality yet still cannot escape a true love for that God-man known as Jesus; I think I might stay awhile if that’s alright.

And it only seems appropriate that I should tell you something of myself if I am to hang around and enjoy the crackling light of your campfire. There are many things I am now and many things I have been but the one thing I have never seemed to be able to ‘escape’ from is Motherhood. I am a Mother to all persons or animals who need soft arms to fall into and heartfelt declarations of “I love you. I am proud of you” and Mother too to any number of creative projects who ride up along side my ear and whisper requests that I nurture them into being. :-)

1. Erika Morrison

Oh my goodness!!!! PLEASE stay and be my friend!!!!

Melissa, I just know we are meant to share space . . . Your comment was FUEL to soul-tank. Seriously. So beautiful and SO resonate. And I am over-the-moon excited to hear you articulate your true self here . . . Girl, you take Motherhood and turn it on it’s head and throw out the rule book and redefine the sucker until it doesn’t look anything like what we’ve always thought it to be. Sounds like you already are . . .

Thank you for spending time here, new friend. All my love to you and I hope to “see” you around!

Love,
      Erika

10. Nicole C.

I am grateful each time I think to come to your writings. I come by when I miss my dad, to read about your Roger (I commented a while back on him and why he is special to me, too). Then it never fails, I read your most recent entry and it is nothing short of miraculous synchronicity. Today, your words became some of my own “dots” to help me “thread together” something at least for this moment that looks lovely and feels magical indeed (which really, isn’t it all about THIS moment?). Your words are your gift for sure and to NOT share this with the world would be a loss for us. I am filled with gratitude that God blessed you with words that touch my heart.

11. Jill Roberts

Hi Erika,
    I LOVE to visit you here!! I have had your blog bookmarked in my favorites for quite some time. I so love and am moved by your expressions. The first time I read your post, I immediately longed to share an afternoon with you sipping tea and swapping life! ;)
    I love to write, and I have a blog called “Artistic Inkspiration”, but have struggled with being consistent. I started an at-home business a year ago to contribute to our family’s financial future…it’s a great opportunity- I’m enjoying it, actually- however, my creative outlets have suffered a bit and I’m feeling a roar coming on from all this hunger! It’s been so long since I’ve visited some of my favorite kindred spirits in cyber space, but today I splurged! ;) My first stop was here at “the Life Artist” and what a treat!! ..a river flooded my soul again with your first two posts! I had the same experience with Les Miserable- like every corner of the earth pulsating through my veins. I wanted to run/dance to the beat of that drum like a mad woman through the streets, sounding an alarm and waking a sleeping world!
    Thank you for the color, fragrance, and rhythms of your expressions… and for the height, the breadth, and the depth of your sacrifice to impart such beauty! Wine this rich comes at a price- thank you for being crushed, fermented, and poured out, my friend! The nations will run to the likeness of your dawn— just keep waking up!!
    Blessings and much love to you from Alabama!

1. thelifeartist

Jill,

I have NO idea why I didn’t see this comment until today (I revisited this post because I needed to reference it for something else I’m working on).

Maybe I needed your words today, more than any other day because they brought absolute life and water to some weary, struggling places inside me. I can’t thank you enough for being so superbly generous with your encouragement and reflection towards my heart.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, sweet, sister-friend.

Love,